Lots of volunteer opportunities coming up. Here’s a list of upcoming events. Please consider helping out if you can.
Coming up at this month’s membership meeting, Bubba, WW4GW, will be talking about Ground. Bubba’s presentations are always informative and thought provoking, so come check it out, Friday March 20 at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad Building.
Also this month, on Saturday March 21, the amateur community will be supporting the Instant Classic Marathon. Contact Brad Price, KI4BWJ, to sign up to volunteer.
Other activities coming soon include:
- MS Society Bike Ride, June 6-7
- Special Olympics June 11, 12, and 13
- Amateur Radio Field Day, on June 27 and 28
A nominating committee will be needed soon to select the slate of officers up for re-election this year.
Frostfest was a big success! We sold out of tables, administered a lot of tests that resulted in 25 upgrades and 22 new hams. As soon as we have good attendance numbers, we’ll post them here as well.
We would like to give a big thanks to everyone that made this year’s Frostfest the big success that it was, including, but not limited to:
- All the volunteers.
- All who participated on the Frostfest committee
- Outgoing Chairman Tray Murphy, N4PAT, and incoming Chairman Tim Farrell, KJ4NPB.
- Rob Marshall, KI4MCW, who put together a fantastic forum schedule.
- All the vendors and patrons.
Frostfest is THE fundraising activity for RATS and it allows us to run all the club repeaters. Thanks again to everyone for a great show!
Coming up on March 21 is the Instant Classic Marathon at Pocohantas State Park. This race raises money for the Fisher House. Amateur radio operators are needed to provide communications for this event. If you would like to help, please contact Brad Price, KI4BWJ.
Coming up at this month’s meeting, on Friday February 20, we will have Jay Lovelady talking about DMR and he will be available to program radios during the meeting as well.
Happy New Year! Frostfest is fast approaching – get ready for the biggest hamfest around on February 7, 2015 at the Richmond Raceway Complex.
This month’s membership meeting will be held Friday January 16 at 7:30 PM. This month we will have Bruce, W4BRU, talk to us about activities for the 100th anniversary of Ham Radio in the Richmond Area.
We will also be talking about our preparations for Frostfest. If you haven’t volunteered to help, this would be a great time to sign up. In addition to helping us put on a great show, you also get free admission and you get entered for a chance to win any of the prizes that are being given away during the show.
December is here already and that means it’s time for the annual RATS Christmas party. There will be a short business meeting to vote on new member applications, and then it will be time to eat and socialize. We will have a selection of finger foods available, similar to what we’ve had the past few years.
Come join us on Friday December 19 at 7:30 PM.
The RATS monthly membership meeting will be held Friday November 21 at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad building. Details on getting to the meeting are available here.
This month’s main presentation will be on Ballooning and Amateur radio presented by Rob Marshall, KI4MCW.
In other RATS news
- Frostfest preparation is moving ahead. The Frostfest web site is up and taking orders, and we have more room than before with the new layout. We are always looking for volunteers to help out with planning and preparation, as well as staffing for the show itself.
- We are still in the planning stages for the December meeting social event, but it will also be held at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad building.
- The By-laws review has been postponed until after Frostfest. We are still looking for volunteers to serve on this committee.
The October RATS general membership meeting will be held on October 17 at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad Building. The meetings page has more information and directions to our location.
- Welcome to Tim Farrell, KJ4NPB, the newest member of the RATS Board of Directors. Tim was appointed to the Board at the October Board meeting. Tim takes the place of Bryan Walker. We would like to thank Bryan for his service to RATS.
- RATS is looking for a few member volunteers to serve on a committee to review the RATS By-Laws. We think it’s a good idea to periodically examine our bylaws to make sure that they are a good fit with the current state of the club. Ideally we would like to have board members and club members participate in this review. The committee will also accept comments from the general membership.
- Membership renewal season is still active. If you haven’t renewed you RATS membership this year, then you can do it online, or at a meeting. A PDF of our membership application is available.
- At the October member meeting we will have a brief review of the Simulated Emergency test that occurred in September, as well as updates on other club activities, including Frostfest. The main program will be an introduction to, and discussion about, Ham Radio Deluxe software.
The September 2014 membership meeting will be held on Friday, September 19, 2014 at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad Building (formerly known as West End Volunteer Rescue Squad). The meeting begins at 7:30 PM. Directions and meeting information are here.
For the Membership meeting, Robert Orndorff, W4BNO, will give a presentation that identifies various things you might see on electrical poles, as well as a brief overview of how the grid works.
Frostfest – The planning meeting will be held Saturday September 13 starting at 9 AM at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad building. Anyone wishing to help with the planning of Frostfest 2015 is encouraged to attend. This kickoff meeting generally lasts until around noon or 1 PM.
Member renewal time is upon us again, so if you haven’t renewed for 2014-2015 yet, now is the time to do so. The link to renew online is here.
We have recently added a page that gives a history of the club, check it out here.
Another ham related event is the MakerFest being held at the Science Museum of Virginia on Saturday September 27. The Richmond Amateur Radio Club is hosting a table at this event and help is always appreciated from any Hams in the community.
The local six meter net (50215.net) is holding their semi-annual Tailgate Fest at the Scottish Rite Temple on Saturday September 27 from 8:00 AM – noon.
The Scottish Rite Temple is located at 4204 Hermitage Road.
Saturday September 27 is Survivor Day, taking place at several localities in the area. This event is from 9 AM until noon. Check out the Survivor Day web site for more information.
The August 2014 membership meeting will be held on Friday August 15 at 7:30 PM at the Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad building.
Be sure to come out if you can. On the agenda for this month is:
- Ballot counting! The 2014 elections are being held and ballots will be accepted and counted at the meeting.
- Mike Baker (N4LSP) will give his talk on how to get the most bang for your buck out of Amateur Radio.